Dikwella Beach: holiday tips for Villa Holidays near Dikwella.
Top 15 things to do in Dikwella when you rent a Villa in Sri Lanka.
Best time to visit: November to end of April
Dickwella, also known as Dikwella, is a small coastal market town in the Matara district of Sri Lanka. It is located 22 km east of the city of Matara. Dickwella is noted for its long sandy beach which is protected by headlands, reefs and sand-bars, making it safer for swimming. At both the Pehambiya end and the western end, swimmers can snorkel out from the beach to watch colourful reef fish amongst the rocks.
- Visit Sri Lanka’s largest seated Buddha statue, which is 50 metres (160 ft) tall. Wewurukannala Vihara is most famous for a gargantuan seated Buddha.
- 25 kms north lies an excellent rock temple at Mulkirigala with wonderful views from the top. Mulkirigala dates back almost 2,000 years when it was a site of a Buddhist monastery.
- Markets: There is a colourful weekly vegetable market in Dikwella and well-known lace-makers.
- Whale watching is available at Mirissa (30 kms west towards Galle). The best time of year is December – March. Expect to see Blue and Sperm whales, dolphins, flying fish and turtles. Mirissa also has a good surf beach with bars, restaurants and guest houses. If you wish to try a different experience, try the aerial whale watching, from Koggala airport.
- Yala National Park is about 100 kms east, Great day trip to see elephants and Leopards and other wild animals. The Kataragama temple complex, which can be combined with a trip to Yala.
- Udawalawe National Park lies about 100 kms north east. Rewarding day trip to see elephants
- Turtles: 20 kms east is Rekawa with a lagoon (bird watching)
- Dickwella usually has Peraheras to celebrate Wesak, Poson & Esala during May, June & July. SO If you are visiting these times, its worth a visit.
- Dondra Lighthouse: 20 kms west is the southernmost point of Sri Lanka at Dondra.
- Yoga at Rocky Point (Goyambokka 14 Kms east). Ayurvedic Spa at Under The Mango Tree in Dikwella.
- Diving & Water sports: at the Dikwella Resort.
- Blow Hole Hummanaya
- Surfing School Lessons