Villa 48 | Tangalle | 1-4 bedrooms
A Budget Beach Hideaway with a pool in Mawella, Sri Lanka
Three beach hideaways, ideal for groups of friends and Surfers. Sleeps up to 8 to 12 guests. Spacious central garden with a large pool and pool house.1 to 4 bedrooms, near Tangalle, Beachfront Villa.
This beachfront property is made of 3 simple beach hideaways that can be rented separately or on exclusive use.
PRICES: From US$ 400 to US$ 750 per night for the entire property -3 huts (Guidance Price) – 2021/22
- The RATES below are per hut per night. – Service Charge & VAT included in the price.
Prices also available in British Pounds (£ – GBP ) & Euros (€) | Check below for seasonal rates or contact us for availability.
Christmas/New year Bookings: Only 7 or 14 nights will be accepted during the peak season
The Beach hideaways in Sri Lanka are located on the western end of a crescent-shaped bay called Mawella Beach, which offers two kilometres of sand, sea and tranquillity near Tangalle on Sri Lanka’s beautiful south coast. Each of the hideaways is named after the trees found in their respective gardens. The hideaways are all situated adjacent to each other across open land belonging to the owners. The Hideaway names are Kotamba, Kahumba and Kumbuk.
What’s in this budget holiday rental near Tangalle, Close to surf breaks
Kotamba and Kahumba are stylish one-bedroom beachfront hideaways. Kumbuk is a two-bedroom hideaway, just behind Kahumba, connected to the beach by its own private short path to the beach (see the map in info). Each of the hideaways is named after the trees found in their respective gardens. The hideaways are all situated adjacent to each other across open land where a large swimming pool and pool house sit for the exclusive use of The house guests.
THE THREE BEACH HIDEAWAYS
The three beach hideaways started off as simple fishermen’s houses and have been fully renovated and updated by their English owners in a contemporary style using local Sri Lankan finishes. They remain simple and minimal while providing spacious and contemporary living spaces for couples and families alike. The beach hideaways are available to rent individually, as pairs, or all together.
THE BEACH & LOCATION
All the hideaways have good-sized grassy gardens with beach access. Kotamba sits on a quarter-acre beachfront plot while Kahumba is on a slightly smaller beachfront plot. Kumbuk is set just behind Kahumba and has the largest garden of the three. All have good shady areas provided by trees. Kotamba has a dining pergola on one side of the house and Kumbuk has a stand-alone dining pergola with a bar area and a fridge. The holiday accommodation is perfect for a romantic break for two or for a quiet family beach holiday.
CLOSEST BEACH: This property is beachfront.
CLOSEST SURFING BEACH: Unakuruwa Beach, 10 mins tuk-tuk ride approximately. Alternatively, Hiriketiya Beach, 15 mins tuk tuk ride.
CLOSEST SEASONALLY SAFE SWIMMABLE BEACH: The beach in front is safe during the season and good for swimming and bodyboarding.
Bedrooms and Living
LIVING INSIDE OUTSIDE
In the spacious central garden, The house has a large pool and pool house, exclusively for our guests.
Kotamba and Kahumba each have a large 6ft-wide double bed with mosquito nets and ceiling fans. The living rooms in both have two 6.5ft x 3.5ft sofas that can double up as beds for children or other guests. The sofas come with special-sized sheets. Kumbuk has two bedrooms, one with a large double bed and a twin-bedded room as well as a roomy living room. All our sheets are 100% white cotton. All three double bedrooms have en suite bathrooms finished in traditional Sri Lankan polished plaster providing a large shower, loo and basin.
Kahumba’s shower is fully walled and partially open air. It also has a separate guest loo with a basin.
The prevailing onshore sea breeze varies in strength but generally provides the hideaways with a cool and airy atmosphere augmented by ceiling fans in all rooms, for which reason the hideaways do not have air-conditioning.
Kotamba and Kahumba each have a large double bedroom (with en suite bathroom), and a kitchen opening onto a large living/dining area. Both Kotamba and Kahumba‘s living rooms have two large sofas which can double up as beds. Kumbuk has a double bedroom and a twin-bedded room.
The 3 beach hideaways share the same simple yet chic décor and the same facilities:
- a large double bedroom with a four-poster wrapped in mosquito netting,
- a big ensuite with a shower;
- a living room with two large sofas.
- Multiple windows and doors open onto wraparound verandas, and black-and-white photographs of local life set the scene.
The 04 bedroom budget rental near Tangalle can sleep 8 to 12 guests
Although each has a unique footprint, the bungalows share the same simple yet chic décor and the same facilities – a large double bedroom with a four-poster wrapped in mosquito netting, a big ensuite with a shower, and a living room with two large sofas. Multiple windows and doors open onto wraparound verandas, and black-and-white photographs of local life set the scene (We loved the portrait of a wizened old fisherman in Kahumba’s bathroom).
The bungalows sit either side of a private strip of grass (to the back lies housekeeper Puncha’s home), meaning they’re independent yet close enough for groups who want to take both.
Kotamba is a renovated fisherman’s house and the quirkiest of the three. It enjoys the longest stretch of beachfront, with views of the whole bay; its kitchen is the largest, and its pergola (shaded by dried coconut leaves) is primed for outdoor dining.
Kahumba was built from the ruins of an old house and features a lovely open-air shower, plus a guest bathroom and an alfresco table under its namesake tree; its living area is the most spacious.
Kumbuk, renovated and completed in 2016, is the newest of the three and has a second twin-bedded bedroom as well as the double bedroom with its large en suite bathroom also accessible from the living room.
The hideaways are fully equipped for self-catering with china, glasses and cookware. Each has a large refrigerator, oven, kettle, and a separate gas hob. There are no dishwashers or microwaves. The houseman can set up one of our barbeques for you. We can provide a cook for you as well at no extra expense. The team is happy to shop for you in the local markets and town, sourcing your ingredients at cost. A tick list of essentials is provided to aid ordering.
Kotamba and Kumbuk have their own pergolas for eating outside. Kahumba’s trees also provide shade for eating in the garden. We have a pool house situated midway between Kotamba and Kahumba where our guests can eat together or generally use the shade during the day. If you wanted to rent all three hideaways, then this can be a central dining area for you all.
Alternatively, guests can book and eat at local restaurants at the nearby hotels including the Tangalle Beach Club, 5-star Amanwella, Buckingham Place, or at one of the two small pop-up beach restaurants on Mawella Beach. You can read our article for more information about Villa living and Villa food policy in Sri Lanka.
There is a central pergola where guests can eat together or generally use the shade during the day. Alternatively, guests can book and eat at local restaurants at the nearby hotels including the Tangalle Beach Club, 5 star Amanwella, Buckingham Place or at one of the two small beach restaurants on Mawella Beach.
Features/Amenities shown are not always free and may have additional costs – Some service types may not be available for your selected dates. Please check at the time of booking for Amenities included on the service option you have selected.
- Near Tangalle
- Coastal Fisherman’s house
- Close to Surf breaks
- Sleeps 12
- 4 bedrooms
- All bedrooms have en-suite bathrooms
- Children are welcome and it is a good set-up for families, although there are no specific facilities for children other than the pool.
- WiFi – Please check at the time of booking.
- Recently renovated and refurbished
- Good size pool
- The meal plan is ingredients only + transport
RATES AND INCLUSIONS
Updated Prices for 2021/22
Please note: RATE on the title listing is ‘FROM’. Please check below for the prices by season and exact dates. If you cannot see the period you are looking for, please contact us.
PRICES: From US$ 400 to US$ 750 per night (Guidance Price only) – 2021/22
- Service Charge And VAT are included.
- Please send us an email to check rates over Christmas and New Year, or Chinese New Year and Easter.
- Prices may change based on the time of your booking, arrival date and length of stay. Whilst every effort is made to keep rates current, they are subject to change from time to time. If there is a rate change you will be informed before a booking is confirmed.
- Confirmed booking rates will not change.
- Security deposit: upon arrival at the villa you may be required to pay a security deposit. The security deposit, if applicable, will be returned to you prior to departure less any extra charges or costs for accidental damage to the property.
RATES FOR THE WHOLE PROPERTY (3 huts, total 4 bedrooms):
- 1st November to 28/29th February: US$750/night
- 1st to 31st March: US$550/night
- 1st April to 30th October: US$400/night
KOTAMBA AND KAHUMBA RATES (PER HIDEAWAY PER NIGHT)
- November to end February: $250
- March: $200
- April to end October: $150
KUMBUK RATES (PER NIGHT)
- November to end February: $200
- March: $150
- April to end October: $100
Event Fee: No EVENT
Christmas/New year Bookings: Only 7 or 14 nights will be accepted during the peak season)
- High/Peak (Xmas & NY): 7 Nights
- High, Mid, Low: 3 Nights
Meals: Comes with an exceptional chef who is capable of western and local dishes. Payment is on an ingredients-only basis + transport.
Prices based on an occupancy of 8 to 12 Guests
PRICING & SERVICE OPTIONS – Features/Amenities shown are not always free and may have additional costs – Some service types may not be available for your selected dates. Please check at the time of booking for Amenities included on the service option you have selected.
- Service Charge and VAT included in the published villa rates.
- Please send us an email to check rates over Christmas and New Year, or Chinese New Year and Easter.
- Prices may change based on the time of your booking, arrival date, and length of stay. Whilst every effort is made to keep rates current, they are subject to change from time to time. If there is a rate change you will be informed before a booking is confirmed. Confirmed booking rates will not change.
- Security deposit: Upon arrival at the villa you may be required to pay a security deposit. The security deposit, if applicable, will be returned to you prior to departure or as agreed less any extra charges or costs for accidental damage to the property.
- Usual Check-in after 2.00 pm and Check out – Before 11.00 am
- Late check-outs up to 6.00 pm may incur a half day charge, after 6.00 pm a full day may be charged.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate other check-in/out times but will depend on availability.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Subjected to Villa in Sri Lanka full rental Terms and Conditions.
Yet to be reviewed, although requested Guest to do so.