Villa 52 | Tangalle | 3 bedrooms
Budget beach view villa with a pool in Tangalle, Sri Lanka
Private Holiday home rental with pool in Tangalle. Elevated Ocean Views. 03 Bedrooms – Sleeps 08. Not recommended for very little ones, unless adults keep an eye on the toddlers or hire a babysitter/nanny.
PRICES: From US$ 300 per night – POA (Price on Application – Given price is for Guidance purpose only)
- Service Charge & VAT included in the price.
Prices also available in British Pounds (£ – GBP ) & Euros (€) | Check below for seasonal rates or contact us for availability.
Christmas/New year Bookings: Only 7 or 14 nights will be accepted during the peak season
This Budget beach view villa with a pool in Tangalle was designed and built by a British family who lives in Singapore. It is a perfect getaway for a group of friends and families (preferably older children, although there are no age restrictions, we think Adults, Nannies, or babysitters should always keep an eye on the little ones) away from the hustle of the towns. The ocean-facing house is located on the crest of Mahawella headland, facing due south towards the famous Hoo Manyia blowhole.
What’s inside this Private holiday rental in Mawella, Tangalle?
The Private holiday rental in Tangalle has 3 bedrooms, each overlooking the garden and ocean. With 3 family-sized bedrooms, breathtaking open plan lounge, dining and kitchen space, and 15 metre pool, The House is finished in teak and polished concrete. The interior is designed so the breeze can move around the spaces and create sustainable cool without artificial air-con. On the upper floor is a wonderful chill space to read a book and watch the sea. Or if feeling more energetic have a game of Table Tennis. While here, choose service or solitude. Our team of local staff offer friendly unobtrusive housekeeping and meals and can arrange transport for local trips, days out or airport runs.
THE BEACH & LOCATION
The house is approximately 3 hours’ drive south of Colombo. Alternatively, you can take the Sea Plane (landing on Dickwella Lagoon behind the house).
CLOSEST BEACH: A beach is accessible from the house, through the cinnamon gate at the bottom of the garden. Take the steps down to the rocks for a wonderful isolated spot to sit and absorb the ocean song. The beach is accessible either across the rocks or via a pathway at the top of the headland.
CLOSEST SURFING BEACH: Hiriketiya beach, 10 mins tuk tuk drive.
CLOSEST SEASONALLY SAFE SWIMMABLE BEACH: Mawella Beach, 10 minutes walk.
Villa interiors and Bedrooms
Living and Lounging: The house is designed to encourage outdoor living. The two 3m wide entry doors open up the north wall of the house and the ocean view doors slide and stack open offering the living spaces to the breeze and ocean. The sunken lounge and galley kitchen are the soul of the house. Living, dining, cooking (if you want to), chilling, and relaxing are all in open space.
03 bedroom villa in Tangalle with luxury facilities sleeps, 8 guests
Ocean Room: Located a split level above the lounge, the suite has a private ocean view terrace with large pivoting doors opening the bedroom to the ocean views. Sliding timber wall panels can open up the bedroom to the lounge and a walk-in dressing room and bathroom complete the suite. The room is provided with King bed.
Pandanus: A large double bedroom with ocean facing terrace overlooks the large pandanus in the centre of the garden. Large pivoting doors also open onto a garden/ocean facing deck. Built-in wardrobes and connection to the adjoining bathrooms suite complete the room. The room is provided with King bed + 1 single bed.
Garden Room: Located at the end of the main house, the room also has a large terrace and pivoting doors and large timber shutters opening to the garden. Built-in wardrobes and connection to the adjoining bathrooms suite complete the room. The room is provided with King bed + 1 single bed.
TOTAL: 3 king size beds and 2 extra single beds with mosquito nets. Two Baby cots are available.
This Villa comes with a cook & Housekeeper and at times another extra staff. To see how it works, read more about Villa Meal Policies in Sri Lanka.
Features/Amenities shown are not always free and may have additional costs – Some service types may not be available for your selected dates. Please check at the time of booking for Amenities included on the service option you have selected.
- Beach views from the villa
- Not great for toddlers, as the villa sits on a hilly location, although the entrance front is flatter
- 3 ensuite bedrooms (No Air-cone, Villa has plenty of ocean breeze and owners thought to not have A/C)
- Sitting room. Outdoor Dining -on verandha
- 15 m infinity pool
- Poolside pavilion
- Walk to the beach
- House cook and House Staff
- High chair
- Babysitter recommendations
- Travel cot on request
- Free parking on premises
- Washing machine
THINGS TO KNOW
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- INTERNET: Given the location, there is currently no broadband accessibility in this area but the house is able to get good service using SIM cards.
- The staff can assist you in getting connected.
- The house has no TV.
- The house is not air-conditioned. All rooms have ceiling fans, and plenty of ocean breeze.
- The Villa has 2 housekeepers/cooks, a gardener and a manager who can arrange your transport needs
- As the house is located on a sloping headland, it is not accessible for wheelchairs. However, the staff are there to assist and accommodate as much as they possibly can.
Swimming Pool: The swimming pool nestles in the sloping garden, the infinity edge matching with the ocean horizon. The 15m length is enough to give you a gentle workout and is plenty of space for the family to relax. The pool is not fenced so the safety of all is down to the responsibility of the adults and each other. A timber cabanas provides a shaded pool lounge at the end of the pool.
Beach: A beach is accessible from the house, through the cinnamon gate at the bottom of the garden. Take the steps down to the rocks for a wonderful isolated spot to sit and absorb the ocean song. The beach is accessible either across the rocks (be careful!) or via a pathway at the top of the headland – please ask the staff to show you.
Wildlife: There is a wide variety of bird and animal life in the garden, from the resident peacocks, monitor lizards to the Grey Langur with the jet black face and the cheeky Macaques who enjoy eating the house garden fruits. You may be lucky to see porcupine, Giant Squirrels or Jungle Hares scampering across the garden. The birdlife is prolific with peacocks, sea eagles, the Ceylon Grey Hornbill, barbets and the noisy Green Billed Coucal. Books and binoculars are available in the house to check anything interesting you may see. Breakfast on the lounge terrace is a great place to watch the birds grab a fruit breakfast from the tree right outside.
Fun: Badminton or a kick around on the lawn. Board games (monopoly, Scrabble and Cards are available for use).
Food is important to the house and the menu reflects the best seasonal produce locally available. Sri Lankan dishes form the basis of the menu along with great salads, pasta and seafood. The seafood is bought fresh daily (as needed) and includes; tuna, snapper, Spanish mackerel, squid along with mussels and lobster which are collected and caught directly in front of the house (they are seasonally available, so please check with the staff). Meals can be served in a variety of locations – just ask the staff – the courtyard – quiet, shady and peaceful – the terrace – beautiful ocean and pool views and lots of bird and wildlife in the early morning – the garden – a picnic under the shade of the trees overlooking the ocean or a loungey lunch by the poolside under the shelter of the cinnamon cabana. A menu can be provided in advance if required.
LUNCH AND DINNER: Sandiya & Gunawathie are both good cooks, but not professionally trained: they make excellent Rice & Curry and also some western dishes; there is a Menu, which they know. Alternatively, you are welcome to cook yourself and they will help with preparations. Food is at cost of ingredients and transport from the local market: please do visit the market with them when they go as it is an interesting experience.
ALCOHOL & DRINKS: We recommend you stock up at Duty Free as the stock of especially wine at the local stores is limited. The Villa can buy Beer & soft drinks locally.
- The Hoo Manyia Blowhole Kudawella – Across the bay from the house is one of the world’s tallest blowholes. If you are there during the right season, you can see it from the house or take a tuk-tuk to climb the path to the site to get closer the spectacle.
- MAHAWELLA BEACH is a short walk down the driveway, along the canal. It is one of the best beaches in southern Sri Lanka – 2km of soft sandy bay.
- THE ROCK TEMPLE – For the energetic, the rock monastery of Mulkirigala is built around a large granite outcrop has great historical significance dating back to the 2nd Century BC. Its 515 steps make the view from the top even more rewarding. Take some water with you!
- THE SPICE COUNTRY– Within a short drive you can enter the Spice Gardens. An area famed for its production of Cinnamon, Cloves, Pepper, Nutmeg and Chillis. You can visit the plantations to learn how the spices are grown, harvested and used.
- TURTLE CONSERVATION PROJECT– Southern Sri Lanka is fortunate to have several species of turtles visiting its shores. The Turtle Conservation Project in Rekawa is half an hours drive from the house. If you are visiting in the right season you can also witness the turtles laying eggs and the young turtles hatching and making it back to sea – if you’re lucky!
- WHALE AND DOLPHIN WATCHING – there are whale and dolphin watching trips available in Mirissa, 40 minutes drive from the house
- MARKETS – They have a choice of local markets and fishing harbours to visit. The staff will gladly take you along to explain the exotic produce on offer.
- GALLE – Galle Fort is a World Heritage Site. The Dutch/Portugese walled town is located 1.5 hrs drive and is an easy day trip
- NAVAJEEVANA – Is an NGO based in Tangalle. They provide terrific support rehabilitating people with disabilities in the south. They have a wonderful school, shop and coffee shop where you can see the work they do first hand and enjoy a good cup of Sri Lankan tea. Small donations go a long way to helping the cause! http://www.navajeevana.com/
- SAFARI – Yala or Udawallawe National Parks are less than an hour away. You can find leopards, elephant, buffalo, crocodiles, jungle cats, jackals and countless birdlife.
RATES AND INCLUSIONS
Updated Prices for 2021/22
Please note: RATE on the title listing is ‘FROM’. Please check below for the prices by season and exact dates. If you cannot see the period you are looking for, please contact us.
PRICES: From US$ 300 per night – POA (Price on Application only – Given price is for Guidance purpose only)
Event Fee: No EVENT
Christmas/New year Bookings: Only 7 or 14 nights will be accepted during the peak season
- High/Peak (Xmas & NY): 7 Nights
- High, Mid, Low: 2 Nights
Meals: Comes with an exceptional chef who is capable of western and local dishes. Payment is on an ingredients-only basis + transport.
Prices based on an occupancy of 8 Guests
PRICING & SERVICE OPTIONS – Features/Amenities shown are not always free and may have additional costs – Some service types may not be available for your selected dates. Please check at the time of booking for Amenities included on the service option you have selected.
- Service Charge and VAT included in the published villa rates.
- Please send us an email to check rates over Christmas and New Year, or Chinese New Year and Easter.
- Prices may change based on the time of your booking, arrival date, and length of stay. Whilst every effort is made to keep rates current, they are subject to change from time to time. If there is a rate change you will be informed before a booking is confirmed. Confirmed booking rates will not change.
- Security deposit: Upon arrival at the villa you may be required to pay a security deposit. The security deposit, if applicable, will be returned to you prior to departure or as agreed less any extra charges or costs for accidental damage to the property.
- Usual Check-in after 2.00 pm and Check out – Before 11.00 am
- Late check-outs up to 6.00 pm may incur a half day charge, after 6.00 pm a full day may be charged.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate other check-in/out times but will depend on availability.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Subjected to Villa in Sri Lanka full rental Terms and Conditions.
“Amazing location with Ocean view.“ – Date of stay: March 2019
“Stylish modern building designed for that outdoors indoors feeling. Nice long infinity pool. Share your stay with iguanas, monkeys and a myriad of birds!”
“This is a beautiful house in a beautiful location” – Date of stay: October 2018
“The property runs down to the water’s edge, with a small, wave-lashed and very private beach, and the house is set up above the sea, high enough to have a fantastic view, yet near enough to always hear the waves. The house itself is thoughtfully designed with all rooms enjoying the fantastic sea view. No air-conditioning but louvered doors and ceiling fans keep it cool enough and allow enjoying the sound of the sea. A huge living room area with open kitchen makes it easy to just hang out, along with a decent-sized pool in the garden below the house. The house and guests are looked after by some very kind staff, who cooked us delicious Sri Lankan breakfasts and dinners – it’s really fun to let them introduce you to the many different fruits and vegetables available in this corner of the island, and get food that is much more homey than in a restaurant (though I’m sure still not as spicy as the staff would have liked). Away from the house – though we hardly felt the need to leave – the local beach is mainly used by fishermen, but now getting a few small restaurants on it; there are produce markets to visit by tuk-tuk in Dikwella and Tangalle (both approx 20 mins away); a surfing beach at Hirketiya with more backpacker-style cafes. Overall, we had a fantastic stay here, totally recommend it if you get the chance to visit.”
“This home is such a gem” – Date of stay: April 2018
“Physically, it’s beautiful in a natural way. Floor-to-ceiling wooden doors run the entire length of the home and retract to make the living areas and the bedrooms a true indoor-outdoor experience. (It’s hard to capture in pictures, but the openness of the home is amazing). We spent hours playing games at the indoor-outdoor dining room table and lounge area, watching the monkeys, gardens, monitor lizards and other wildlife who frequent the garden. Bedrooms are beautiful and simple with local bedding and mosquito nets, bathrooms large and lovely and with jaw-dropping ocean views as well. Everything was so thoughtfully designed and — from what we can gather — with minimal environmental impact (hot water is solar-powered, a rainwater collection system is used, etc.). The pool was just right for either lounging or playing. The surf “hid” the private beach during our stay but the rocks were amazing to rest on and just stare at the sea. Our 7 year old played baseball and cricket in the large garden for hours. The two cooks/housekeepers took wonderful care of us, cooking eastern or western breakfasts (a different one every day!) and more lunches and dinners than we could count. We just passed them cash and they provided detailed receipts and change at the end. Our children didn’t want to dine out because they loved Sandiya’s food so much — excellent curries, fresh fish (bought on the beach down the hill that morning), roast chicken, etc. They wanted to please and it showed in the delicious food they prepared with great care each day. Another thoughtful design decision was the creation of a separate prep/staff kitchen on the other side of the home so you still have your privacy even when the ladies are cooking. Staff quarters are between the entrance to the property and the main home and someone is always there to help if needed. The pool person and gardener were on property almost every day making sure everything was “just so” for our family. A house phone is provided so you can easily contact the housekeepers, manager, tuk-tuk driver, etc. at any time. We enjoyed the beaches a short walk away as well as the “surfer’s beach” accessible via a 10-15 minute tuk tuk ride. Surfer’s beach was great for wave watching and riding (our 7, 11 and 13 year old kids all had a great time boogie boarding). A large collection of toes-in-the-sand casual restaurants with both eastern and western food was a plus. All in all, this was the most heavenly way to experience the southern beaches of Sri Lanka. I don’t think we’ve ever “unplugged” on a vacation like we did at the House. We feel grateful the owners share their exceptionally beautiful home.”