Weligama Beach, Sri Lanka. Highlights and things to do.
Top things to do in Weligama when you rent a Villa in Sri Lanka.
Best time to visit: October to end of April
Located in a calm bay between Mirissa and Galle, Weligama Bay is mostly famous for its stilt fishermen trying to catch fish from this unusual acrobatic position. As its neighbour Unawatuna, Weligama is well-known for its brilliant surfing beach, as it is guarded by a shallow coral reef. It’s good to try your hand and take some lessons with a local instructor. You can also find wind-surfing and sailing. Weligama is Sri Lanka’s number one destination for beginner and intermediate surfers with a two-kilometre-long beach break. Weligama is traditionally a fisherman village so while surfing you can also witness the fishermen going out on their daily boat trips.
If you are looking for history, then a visit to the 17th century UNESCO Heritage site Dutch Galle Fort (30 minutes drive away). Best place for the boutiques, walks, streets, spas, dine outs and some have high teas. And not to forget the walks along the ramparts at sunset.
Top things to do in Weligama
Mirissa and Weligama are sister towns on the opposite sides of the Weligama Bay.
- Surf, dive, whale watching, swim and snorkel.
- Boat rides (Bertram 54, Luxury Trimaran, Luxury Cruiser, Ordinary Single Haul and Private Boat)
- Twenty-three kilometres east of Unawatuna, and 30 Kms from Galle fort.
- Stand-Up Paddle boarding in Weligama/Water sports Etc
- Hire a Private Yoga instructor or visit a Yoga class nearby
- Culinary experiences
- Drive inland to a Tea estate